Tuesday, November 3, 2009

INSANE

How would you define an energy drink that is INSANE?
Would it change its name so 'they' couldn't find it? Would the voices in its head tell it that one energy shot wasn't enough? Would it feature 500 ml of INSANITY?

Well mine certainly does. In the weird, wacky world of energy drinks, making your mark can't be easy. Pretty much any energetic additive under the sun has been done before, nothing is new and exciting, and other than a few different flavours of intensity, very little is going to surprise me. Well, except maybe an energy drink loaded with ecstasy. Now that'd be insane.

I'm not expecting a whole lot from Mr. Insane here. Other than the garish logo that reminds me of The Evil Dead's book of the dead, they're not offering me much to feel insane about. Also, under the bold heading of 'Insane Energy', they've tacked on a rather conservative label of 'juice drink'. So 'insane juice' it is, then? Insane that it doesn't have 20% real apples, and I'm not drinking it from a box with a straw?

Upon tasting, you're hit with a surge, ie. Mother Surge. Nothing terribly new, I'm afraid. The taste sensation is familiar and safe, and though I was first excited by the hardcore death metal that mysteriously commenced upon tasting, I soon realised that this was coming from the headphones of the kid nearby on the train carriage. I suppose he's sacrificing his hearing to increase my insane ambience.
Every sip I take hardly feels insane. Perhaps I'm not doing this right? Or is the insane label a misnomer? Is it just easier to market than 'MILD Energy Juice Drink'? I feel maybe a little bit more energetic, slightly pensive about B vitamins, and with a longing to listen to Billy Joel. I don't think that's quite the desired effect. ...I also accidentally dunked one of my iPod headphones into the drink. I suppose that's a little insane.

To its credit, for the first couple minutes after I drank it, I did feel fairly energetic. Though you could pin that on the Kenyan mocha I had this morning or the fact that I ate an entire ice cream cake yesterday, these notions are boring to me. I'll instead give full credit to the 500 MLS OF INSANITY I consumed.

On another note, it was also pleasing to swish around in my mouth like a pretentious wine critic.

FINAL GRADE: Passable. Nothing new, but nothing horrible, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment