Thursday, November 26, 2009

Not even God himself could stop me

You know the phrase, right? The one that states that you're so full of determination, so full of drive, that you dare the Lord himself to try and stop you. It's pretty ballsy, isn't it? Because if you're going to pick an opponent to call out, you don't get much bigger than God. He can seriously mess your shit up if you're not careful, he means business. You'd really be best off going more conservatively if you knew what was good for you, like 'Not even the old lady down the road could stop me', or 'Not even Nathan the friendly and helpful bloke could stop me'.

I don't think I've ever really uttered the phrase myself, and yet all the same, today I've been unfortunate enough to realise the magnitude of its challenge. For here I sit, on a train that should have left Melton twenty minutes ago, instead being told that the train has been cancelled indefinitely, and it'll be another half hour until the road coaches arrive.
For it seems that lightning has stricken signal boxes down the line, and trains are a no go.

I'm on my way to an audition, you see, and I was concerned about whether I'd get to my destination on time back when I thought things would be running as planned.

Interpret this in as many ways as you'd like, but I contemplate how hardly I've been working lately to try and launch my non-existent acting career, and now here I sit, defied by God above in my hopes to audition. Some might say it's a sign. That I should get off this train, walk home and pursue a more reasonable career in the mining profession.

I myself see this as just another obstacle in my way, and one that makes me seem grander than I really am. For though as aforementioned, I would much rather be picking fights with lesser opponents, fate has selected my enemy for me, and he holds power greater than any other. Some day, though, I'll be happy that I kept fighting, proud of the adversity that I overcame and wonderment for all that I was able to topple the mightiest challenger of all.

To you, God, I say game on.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tony,

    Thought to ponder - maybe God isn't the one to blame for your misfortune with public transport from a bolt of lightning to try and upset the advancement of your career?
    Sounds like a pretty unloving act, doesn't it?
    He gets pretty bad press these days.

    The God I believe in is Love. He is the one who puts desires and passions into the heart of every human being.
    Surely then this God is for you and not against you in your pursuing of your hearts desires?

    The God I know isn't an enemy to be fought with - in fact, quite the polar opposite.
    He is a partner in battle, wanting to get beside you and help you reach the desires of your heart in a fallen world. All you have to do is open up your heart to even the smallest possibility that He is there for you, and you've got that 'power greater than any other' on your team.
    And crazily enough, even before doing anything remotely like this, He is already there fighting for you, whether you believe it or not! That is the nature of His grace.

    'Teaming up' with Him doesn't mean everything suddenly becomes easy; there's always opposition. But I believe He made your inmost being and He knows what is best for you and your future.
    You are loved greater than you could ever possibly imagine.

    Maybe who you see as your biggest opponent in life is actually your biggest fan? :-)

    Just some thoughts anyways from a different angle, my friend!

    much love,
    lukamus/hatty/any combination of such

    ReplyDelete