Monday, October 12, 2009

The guise of a hobo

It's certainly been quite some time since I've shaven or gotten my hair cut. As you might expect, I've grown quite a head of hair in this time. Add to this my arsenal of dirty hooded jumpers and $10 Westco jeans with the missing rear belt notch, and I've assembled quite a unique look. One that I like to refer to as 'hobo chique'. The only thing that betrays my image is my ever-present iPod headphones and nice watch.

Once Chris and I conclude filming for his uni project and I can drop the Howard Bachman look, I'll finally be dropping this unsightly mane.

You know, it's interesting... So many people project a persona based on their appearance. Black leather and eyeshadow, we dub them emo. Baggy pants and bandannas, they're clearly wiggers. The list goes on, and though I won't miss this shaggy mess getting in my way, I must admit I will rather miss the persona I've been projecting, largely due to its accuracy.

And that is, I don't care what people's opinion of me is on a day-to-day basis. Write me off as a hobo, that's great, because that means you've judged me as an unintelligent failure, possibly not quite right in the head as well.
With this, I can simply observe the world through the eyes of someone who is considered lower.

I sometimes even contemplate taking my shoes off and wandering the streets of Melbourne appearing the way I do now. To interact as a homeless guy, to try and briefly live that life, surrounded by pity and disgust.

What do I stand to gain? Little more than understanding, really. Understanding of these unfortunate souls who I myself ignore, and a closer look at just how generous and compassionate manking really is.

It's not a common hobby; meandering about as a hobo... But I have a thirst for an understanding of people as a whole. Not individuals... individuals are easy to understand. It's us as a people that confound me.
I often cite Tommy Lee Jones' brilliant line in Men in Black; 'A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it.'

In about a week, I'll lose this disguise of sorts and go back to being a normal person. To be judged as more or less an equal, rather than something else, something alien. To not capitalise on this seems almost a waste, y'know?
But we all know I won't be ballsy enough to try this experiment out. The best I can do is continue to observe as the outsider.

Funny, isn't it, how social status really is a numbers game. To be an outsider is based simply on being placed in a minority, an existence different from what's considered to be normal. I wonder how many social circles I could be part of? I wonder which I could never join, and for what reasons?

Moreover, like my 'hobo in disguise' idea, I wonder if I could infiltrate these other worlds that I'm not a part of? Could I pass for an emo? A wigger? A brainless commoner? Lord knows I see enough of them in everyday life to be able to emulate them.

I myself am a rather ecclectic blend of personas, as we all really are. As you may have gathered, I possess a distinct loathing for the aimless, uneducated masses. But, would you believe, I have a far stronger contempt towards the spoilt pricks who have never worked a day in their lives and expect to merely receive everything they want.

You know what is really important to me? Being down to earth and modest. I might toot my horn here with regularity, and I do carry a certain confidence or swagger, but I can admit my faults. I won't exaggerate my self-opinion to escalate my worth. I can appreciate the reality of the world around me and, most of all, I won't make others look bad to raise my own status.
Basically, if you're humble and not an asshole, I can tolerate you. Two of the most repellant and detestable people I know have an over-inflated self opinion. Others have no understanding of hardship, or compassion for those who have experienced it.
I know I'm a pretentious git... but as long as I don't become like those people, I can say that I'm a likable person.

At least... I like me.

You may not, of course. And as longa s these reasons are valid and based in truth, I can appreciate that. You know why it's so easy for me to accept it? Because, beard or no beard, I am he who observes, and he who isolates. As aforementioned, I really don't care.

* If you noticed a contradiction or two in the preceding, it's best not to dwell on it. My inconsistency is well-documented, and likely half of what you read was merely done for purposes of clever wording in order to sound swish.

No comments:

Post a Comment