Thursday, February 16, 2012

First Best!

Though it could be excused due to the blog being titled 'Tacknologic' in reference to the Tennessee Titans, I don't feel as though I give enough love to my other favourite teams. As such, in this entry, I shall pay homage to the favourite players of my favourite teams.

Tennessee Titans
Steve McNair (1995-2005)


We've done this one before, of course. But at a glance, I'd feel this entry was incomplete if I didn't at least mention my favourite athlete of any sport. Steve McNair was the quiet, stoic man of steel who embodied the spirit of the Titans for over a decade. He is still missed, and the Titans would benefit a great deal from a little bit of his selfless determination.

Vancouver Canucks
Ryan Kesler (2003-present)


It's an awesome time to be a Canucks fan at the moment. With a wealth of talent young and old, there is reason for optimism, and a great many guys I could call my favourite. Other candidates are Kevin Bieksa and Maxim Lapierre. Kes gets the nod however, for being everything you want to be as a hockey player: he's tough, he's witty, and he scores a lot of goals. Defense wins championships, but offense wins Tony.

Toronto Blue Jays
José Bautista (2008-present)


Though I've been a fan of the Jays for a while, it wasn't until 2010 that I started following them that closely. As such, I can't in all fairness anoint a player from the World Series era as my favourite, though Joe Carter does take the silver. In the case of Bautista, he's big, he's bad, and he's ready to crack some homers. Honestly, everyone loves a slugger, and that's what Bautista is. Plus, the fact that Toronto was where he became something; from a Pirates castoff to home run king, that's the kind of thing you love to see.

Toronto Raptors
Chris Bosh (2003-2010)


Yup, it's true. As much as I want to claim Andrea Bargnani or Ed Davis holds my heart, I still see Bosh as head and shoulders above the rest. I still wish him the best and want him to succeed, because unlike other superstars who have come and gone, he didn't force his way out of Toronto. Tracy McGrady and Vince Carter could have been dominant if they had stayed together, but they bolted. Bosh did leave for Miami, but he tried his very best while he was a Raptor, with nobody around him. My second favourite is Jamaal Magloire, because he is a Canadian and Canadians are good.

BC Lions
Doug Flutie (1990-1991)


Indeed, for only two seasons of service, the Boston College hero still garners my adulation. More appropriate would be his brother Darren, a five-year Lion great. But Doug's entire package: his success in the CFL, his completely un-prototypical build and style, and his heart, make him one of my favourite football players overall. The fact that he briefly played for the Lions just makes it even sweeter.

Sydney Swans
Mike Pyke (2009-present)


Can't say I've ever been able to get into Australian rules football. Just not my kind of sport, really. Despite this, it's beyond easy for me to choose my favourite AFL player, because Mr. Pyke hails from Victoria, BC, and that practically makes him my neighbour. He hasn't made much of an impact yet, besides being a capable reserve, but hopefully he'll come to the forefront as Shane Mumford gets on in age.

Vancouver Whitecaps
Martin Nash (2004-2010)


Does this one count? Though last year was the inaugural season of the MLS franchise, the Vancouver Whitecaps is a name that has been around since 1974. Martin Nash was a member of the second iteration of the Whitecaps, then of the USL and USSF Division 2. In my mind, then, the historical players of the franchise can still be considered one in the same with players of the MLS 'Caps. And in Nash's case, he's Steve Nash's friggin' brother, man. How can you not love that? For those of you crying foul, my supplementary answer is Eric Hassli, and yes, it is entirely based on the goal vs. the Sounders. Allow me to close with that, because it simply looks better every time I see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment