Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Favourite moments in sport #1

In this segment, I share with you all of my most favourite moments in sport history. As you can appreciate, most (probably all) of them will be associated with teams I support, but who knows, maybe I'll surprise you along the way. I promise nothing.

In no particular order...

#1: Joe Carter's walk-off home run
Often, if you were to ask me what's my proudest moment for all of my many supported teams, this would be the one that immediately springs to mind. The Blue Jays were winners, and as back-to-back champions, they were emphatically the best.

I'm very proud of the Jays' 1992 World Series win, but it lacked the magical climax of its successor. In '93, in game 6, in Toronto, the Phillies were in the lead, and Joe Carter had 2 strikes against him. As the commentator notes, and as is clear to anyone, Carter does not look comfortable as he lets the first few pitches go by. Did Mitch Williams have him reeling? Or was he simply looking for the pitch?

Who knows, and who cares. Carter finally hits it, and he nails it deep left. My favourite replay is the one that shows Carter right after he hits it, and is heading to first. Watching his face, and his body language, as he begins to realise that it has enough to clear the wall, and finally, when it's a certainty... What a feeling that must have been for him. To have been involved in the play that won the World Series in two straight years, and to have done it like this. Truly special. Do yourself a favour, watch it in its entirety.


#2: Sidney Crosby's Golden Goal
This one tends to duel back and forth with Joe's homer for the moments that give me the most elation. This game had everything you wanted: supreme talent, rivalry, drama, intrigue... It was the bitter brothers, trading blows and taking it to overtime. And one of the special things about this win was that Canada had faltered en route to the final challenge, and had to best some really stiff competition along the way.

Both North American nations would hold their breath as this one would finish regulation undecided. And then, it happened. Crosby gets the puck from a tumbling Jarome Iginla (one of my favourites!), and plants it in the net. The team, the crowd, the entirety of British Columbia lose their shit. It's absolutely beautiful, and I will treasure it always. And the fact that it happened in Vancouver... my Vancouver... makes it truly special.

No comments:

Post a Comment