Thursday, June 19, 2008

$6,460.57

It's a pretty large sum, isn't it? Larger still when you consider that that's in American dollars, the current Australian exchange rate places it somewhere in the realm of $6,861.83. A great sum of money sitting right there either way, and in some weird little way, I possess a collection of things that make up to that approximate amount.

So what is it? A couple of sweet second-hand vehicles I got on the cheap? A pair of computers, perhaps? Or that ever-coveted golden grill planted right on my choppers?
Well, no. As a matter of fact, it's what IGN estimates my video game collection is currently worth. Huh.
Who knows how they work out this sum(bitch); do they consider the ever-shifting market value of old games? Is each game valued independently, depending on its rarity and overall value? And is Bubsy 3D appropriately the 20c it's really worth (and that's being generous)? Who knows. Who also knows how many times I'm going to use my cliche three suggestions before providing a completely different answer, I'm actually getting sick of it but it's easy to do and gives me a chuckle along the way.

Anyhow, it just goes to show you I've got my priorities all laid out in a strange way; I don't drive, I hadn't held a job until this year, and I have no plans for life post-university. What I do have however, is 209 video games that I can quite willingly beat anyone in. Except the SNES' Jurassic Park, which is more or less hell planted within your hands.

I wonder how much this collection will be worth in another five years? It's certainly growing rapidly; in just a week that sum will go up by about another $50 ($100 Australian) when, as I've constantly alluded to, Smash Bros Brawl is within my grasp and within my gaping maw. Anyone who wants to see the actual list need only ask, I'll merrily provide you with the details. Don't be surprised if that number has since shot up as I've added in everything I've forgotten along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment