Saturday, May 7, 2011

Tony's Titans: Special Teams

After what has surely been a roller coaster of an undertaking, today we reach the final installment of my favourite Titans from 2002-today. As such, you won't have to hear that phrase anymore. I'm tempted to repeat it multiple times to stretch its shelf life, but I'll refrain.

Now we look at the only men in football who actually use their feet on the ball. They bring the sport that much closer to authentic 'football'. And no, I don't mean soccer. Though sometimes their theatrical flops to gain a penalty is akin to the pathetic tumbling of that lesser sport...

But I digress. First, we take a look at the kicker. Careful, he kicks!

#1 Rob Bironas
2005-present


All-Time Career
160 of 187 FG (85.6%), long of 60, 205 of 207 XP (99.0%)
458 kickoffs for 29,962 yards, avg 65.4, 83 TB


Come on. It's a gimme. The only other kickers I've known for this franchise were Joe Nedney, who was on his way out by the time I'd arrived, and Gary Anderson.

Gary Anderson was indeed one of the greatest kickers of all time, but nowhere near as prolific for the Titans. He does however nab the unlisted second place position for one okay year with us, plus his Randy Moss-like mystique.

I've been a Bironas backer for a while now. I'm pleased as punch with him as our kicker, and the only time I wasn't pulling for him was when he was fighting for a roster spot. My money was on Ola Kimrin, the Swede who technically owns the record for longest ever field goal, a 65-yard bomb in a preseason game.

Bironas beat Kimrin out in camp, and though I felt sad to see the possibly record-setting kicking of Kimrin depart, what I got in return was one of the league's very best, who has himself made the record books.

Though statistics often don't show the whole story, Bironas' almost certainly do. Nearly 86% success rate, a game-winning long of 60 (against the Colts!!), and the most field goals in a single game. Eight. I mean, come on!

That last one might be one of the most futile records to hold (along with most punts, or most turnovers against), but it's ours dammit, and we have Rob to thank, along with our anemic offense.

Speaking of anemic offense, we featured one fairly often. As such, I became well-acquainted with my all-time favourite punter...

#1 Craig Hentrich
1998-2009


Titans Career
861 punts for 36,926 yards (32,084 net), 42.9 avg, 78 long, 295 in 20, 95 TB
412 kickoffs for 25,035, avg 60.8, 42 TB

All-Time Career
1,150 punts for 49,281 yards (42,456 net), 42.9 avg, 78 long, 399 in 20, 142 TB
559 kickoffs for 34,367, avg 61.5, 57 TB


In the turmoil that has been my fandom over the last nine years, there was always one constant. And really, I can't think of a more appropriate way to cap off my list of favourite Titans than with Craig Hentrich, who up until last season, went into each season locked in as our punter.

As the faces around him changed, Hentrich just kept coming into work and doing his job. And he did his job well, hence sticking around with the Titans for a very long time. Meanwhile, Green Bay have struggled to replace him ever since they cut him all those years ago.

It's unfortunate how being a punter basically encapsulates the failure of your team. He's like a bright pink inflatable life jacket. You're embarrassed that you have to rely on him, but he's there to save your life when you would have otherwise drowned. So unless your name is Brian Moorman, people aren't usually happy to see you take the field.

I've already expressed my discontent for the apathy directed towards punters, but I love 'em. I would have been happy to wear a Craig Hentrich jersey, if it didn't suggest feelings of futility about the rest of the roster.

I'm immensely happy that Hentrich was able to take home a Super Bowl ring (back with the Pack), and I was sad to see him go, but Brett Kern has picked up the slack, and I look forward to a decade of service with him. And possibly some fake plays by A.J. Trapasso in the preseason. Seriously, that was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment