Monday, April 18, 2011

Tony's Titans: Tackles

Can my mind be on anything other than the Vancouver Canucks today? No, not really. I'm actually still watching Canucks videos on Youtube, 40 minutes after their third win over the Blackhawks, one victory off planting the dagger. Despite this, I'll try and press on. Gotta finish at least most of this before the draft, eh?

Today's Titans of Tony Two Thousand and Two To Today Totally Tallies Tackles.

True.

#4 Daniel Loper
2005-2008


Titans Career
40 games

All-Time Career
58 games, 9 starts


Conventional thinking would see Fred Miller in this spot, and he was, originally. But the man known as Drive-Killer Miller had too many faults to qualify for the automatic inclusion that many of his peers from that era enjoy.

For one, the aforementioned moniker, derived from his ability to get penalties right when the Titans were storming downfield. Second, upon arriving in Chicago, there was a curious incident where Olin Kreutz popped him in the mouth, breaking his jaw. I don't know many of the details, but I tend to side with the more respected Kreutz. And finally, he was a member of the 1999 St. Louis Rams, who famously robbed the Titans of their only Super Bowl title. It took me years to forgive Dick Vermeil and Kurt Warner; Miller never redeemed himself in my eyes.

So I go with Daniel Loper then. Because I saw a game one time where he came in to cover an injury to David Stewart, and he did a damn fine job. It's not much, but it's hard to follow the affairs of tackles, you know. Plus, look at him: he looks like he should have been named Bubba! Bubba Loper. DO WANT.

#3 David Stewart
2005-present


All-Time Career
77 games, 77 starts


The man known as 'Big Country' has been a much more pleasant fixture at right tackle than his predecessor, Miller. Whereas Miller was known for poorly timed mistakes, Stewart is known for pissing people off.

In a good way, of course.

He's the instigator on offence, the offensive line parallel to Cortland Finnegan, and just one syllable away from having the most amusing nickname in the NFL.

#2 Michael Roos
2005-present


All-Time Career
96 games, 96 starts


Over the last five seasons, the Titans have been very up and down. We've been as good as 13-3, and we've been as bad as 4-12. The one consistent, though, has been the play of Michael Roos.

Projected as a late third-rounder, Roos came out of Eastern Washington with very little fanfare. I don't know if the reaction from Titans fans was more rampant than my own apathy, but he was an early second round selection, and no doubt raised some eyebrows in how early he came off the board.

Roos was immediately plugged in at right tackle, and has been a starter ever since. The dude is just solid. He's the anchor of this line, and, one of my favourite qualities, he's quiet. I love Stewart's in your face aggression, but I'm glad to see that the franchise left tackle has virtually no ego. I don't know if I've ever even heard him speak a word.

What a fantastic pair of tackles to come out of that '05 draft. Titans shored up their bookends for years.

#1 Brad Hopkins
1993-2005


All-Time Career
194 games, 188 starts


Haha, sometimes I'm so predictable. A first-round pick from '93, Hopkins remained a stalwart on the offensive line for over a decade. He never got a lot of fanfare, not even as much as Roos has gotten, but I don't think it's as much a reflection on his ability as simply a surplus of talented tackles from his generation. Guys like Jonathan Ogden and Walter Jones spring to mind.

Hopkins was one of the last pieces of the Houston Oiler franchise in Tennessee, and I'm happy to have seen him retire right here, where he belonged. Though others may have moved on elsewhere, the one with the longest tenure at the time was able to complete his career as a Titan. Just like Mike Munchak. Just like Bruce Matthews. Just like an Oilers lineman should.

2 comments:

  1. I'm just starting to think that you want to put your favourites at number 1, regardless of ability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which is entirely true. ...I'm saddened that you bailed after this comment. :(

      Delete