Monday, April 11, 2011

Tony's Titans: Running Backs

No better time than the present to press on with my favourite Titans since becoming a fan (2002); this batch be the backs of runnin'. First, the halfbacks.

#3 Chris Brown
2003-2007


Titans Career
643 rushes for 2,757 yards, 16 TDs, 13 fumbles, 4.3 Avg
74 receptions for 667 yards, 2 TDs, 9.0 Avg

All-Time Career
722 rushes for 3,024 yards, 19 TDs, 14 fumbles, 4.2 Avg
90 receptions for 741 yards, 2 TDs, 8.2 Avg


I had originally convinced myself that Travis Henry would occupy this spot. In 2006, alongside Vince Young he rejuvenated the Titans and helped us to an awesome unexpected playoff push. However, he only had one good Titans season, and after seven years, he's out of the league and been sentenced to three years in federal prison for financing cocaine trafficking. What a miserable end to great potential.

In Chris Brown's case, his rap sheet is squeaky clean, and he too gets my accolades for one good season.

When Eddie George left for Dallas in 2004, Titans fans couldn't help but feel bereft. Out went the franchise's workhorse, and his thousands of carries. Enter Chris Brown: an unheralded third round back who had missed part of his rookie season with an injury, who gave the Titans a solid running threat.

I know, it's funny to look back and think that Chris Brown was a running threat. He was so banged up over the years he garnered the unfortunate moniker of 'Crystal Chris', but what he did in 2004 was undeniable: over 1,000 yards in only 11 games. He averaged just a hair under 5 yards a carry, and I was convinced that we had met one of the new faces of the franchise.

I was so convinced, I traded Eddie George away in Madden '05 (for Julius Jones: seeemed like a good deal at the time), and prepared for some Brown pounding. For the record, Chris Brown was the single greatest Madden player I've ever had. Probably because I played more Madden that season than any other year, but it's worth special mention.

Also, if you're wondering where LenDale White sits on my nine-year Titans backs list, he would be behind Jarrett Payton and Antowain Smith in seventh place. Too much of a sense of entitlement, too little production to have gotten my love. All those touchdowns were nice, but many of them could have been pounded in by anyone, really.

#2 Chris Johnson
2008-present


All-Time Career
925 rushes for 4,598 yards, 34 TDs, 7 fumbles, 5.0 Avg
137 receptions for 1,008 yards, 4 TDs, 7.4 Avg


Were you one of the ones who groaned when the Titans drafted Chris Johnson with the 24th pick in 2008? I certainly was.

LenDale White was a second round pick in '06, and Chris Henry was another second rounder (a decision we may never forget) in '07; the Titans looked like the Lions and all those first round wide receiver mistakes. What could Johnson have possibly provided that we didn't already have, and that 23 other teams apparently found expendable?

Yeah, those questions seemed valid at the time, but downright stupid now. By his second year, CJ2K had claimed the franchise's highest single season ground total (2,006) and broken Marshall Faulk's record for all-purpose yards.

...And to think, I thought LenDale was the feature back of the future?

Johnson's career is certainly on a distinguished path; he had his worst year last season, and still averaged 4.3 yards and collected 11 TDs. He's now one of the NFL's all-stars, and teams specifically have to game plan against him.

My only hang-up lies in his attitude. It's not his in-your-face cockiness or tendency to showboat; I'm fine with those. It's this unshakable feeling of... how committed is he to this team? I can see him jumping ship for more prosperous ground sooner rather than later.

I feel as though we have to just get the amazing mileage out of him that we can while it lasts. I hope he proves me wrong, though. After all, it wouldn't be the first time.

#1 Eddie George
1996-2003


Titans Career
2,733 rushes for 10,009 yards, 64 TDs, 34 fumbles, 3.7 Avg
259 receptions for 2,144 yards, 10 TDs, 8.3 Avg

All-Time Career
2,865 rushes for 10,441 yards, 68 TDs, 37 fumbles, 3.6 Avg
268 receptions for 2,227 yards, 10 TDs, 8.3 Avg


Inspirational. That's how I'll describe Eddie George's tenure with the Titans. Not because of overcome adversity or outright freaky talent. But because of the kind of man he was and the kind of effort he put out there.

When I think of McNair highlights, I feel euphoric. Eddie George highlights however, they get me fired up, even after all these years. George punished defenders, just absolutely nailed them, and if someone felt froggy before the game, all it took was a few bruising runs by George to change their tune.

Not only was it hard to tackle George to the ground, but frankly, after he had plowed through you a few times, you really wouldn't want to. Broken tackles, broken arms, broken spirits, he did them all. And for all the damage he did to opposing psyches, he was just as effective in rallying his own team.

He was the perfect complement to McNair; while the QB was quiet and stoic, George knew how to get his team pumped. The fact that they both threw their bodies on the line and played their hearts out made you just as likely to follow either of their leads, but like I said, thinking of Eddie George runs, it still makes me pumped up, despite never having been there, never having met him, or never having played a damned down in the NFL.

Frankly, I wish he was still on the roster. If Tiki Barber can mount a comeback, then Eddie certainly can too. I don't care what the capacity is; short yardage, pass protection, redzone offence, just get Eddie in the game, on the field, and over opponents. Apparently he's still in magnificent shape, and who wouldn't want to watch him slam Ray Lewis into the turf, then get all up in his face (and do it all with a separated shoulder) just one more time?

Fingers crossed that Eddie sees all of the other old Oilers joining Tennessee's staff and at least makes the jump to coaching. Eddie on the sideline with Bruce Matthews, running onto the field after a Super Bowl win? Oh good lord, it excites me even more than thinking of any of our players celebrating.

On a final note, Eddie's wife is Tamara Johnson-George, formerly of SWV. I loves me some SWV; Weak is the third-most played song on my iPod, listened to 136 times (and counting!)

And as for my favourite Titans fullback? That one's easy.

#1 Ahmard Hall
2006-present


All-Time Career
18 rushes for 56 yards, 4 fumbles, 3.1 Avg
64 receptions for 515 yards, 2 TDs, 8.0 Avg


Many Titans fans would give the nod to Lorenzo Neal, who helped Eddie George (among others) to some of his best statistical seasons, plus playing a part in the Music City Miracle, but of course, his tenure was just before my time, and considering that the major role of a fullback is to open lanes for the running back, you can't do much better than Hall in 2009: those 2,006 running yards by CJ2K didn't just come out of nowhere.

Hall is actually one of my favourite players on the current Titans' roster, because he shows one of my favourite qualities: toughness.

A former Marine who runs with reckless abandon, Hall plays hard. In the divisional matchup against the Ravens in 2008, on 3rd and 10, Ahmard Hall grabbed a short pass from Kerry Collins on the one-yard line and took it into Ray Lewis territory. Lewis put down the boom, I mean absolutely laid Hall out, taking him sideways and knocking his helmet off in the process, but Hall hung onto the ball, first down. Then, Hall shoots up, ready for more.

And you know what makes that play even more badass? In order to get the first down, Hall jumped. Even with Ray Lewis barreling down towards him, Hall took to the air to get the necessary yardage. So basically, he set himself up for the punishing hit. Because he's a BAMF.

I guess if you want to make me proud, you have to take on Ray Lewis, ala George or Hall. So go forth, Titans backs! Javon Ringer, go on out there and give him a stiff arm! Stafon Johnson, lower your shoulder and nail him!! LeGarrette Blount, show us... Oh wait. Forget that last one. I still haven't forgiven Tennessee for that slip-up.

2 comments:

  1. I understand the reasons behind this; but, I'm still shocked that CJ2K didn't get the numero uno. Has that changed since this was posted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite the contrary, he's actually gone down in my list since!

      Delete