Wednesday, February 15, 2006

McValentine's Day

Valentine's Day. What is Valentine's Day, exactly?
To the best of my trusty old recollection, Valentine's Day is a time where we confess our love for someone whom we feel affectionate toward. A time when all inhibitions are thrown to the wayside, and we take that fleeting opportunity to look our object of desire in the eye, take a deep breath and say, 'Will you be my sweetie pie?'
Alternatively, it's just one of those days when you give a shoutout to everyone in the hizzy so that they feel spiffy, fo'nizzy.

'k. Couple things. First off, no, nobody actually does say sweetie pie anymore. It's like against the law. Second, one of these days I will stop saying hizzy. Today is not that day. And yeah, I know it's not quite Valentine's Day for everyone yet, but it is in Australia, so all you crazy northern hemisphere-type people can just assume I live in the future. 'cause I do. Kinda.

For years, Valentine's Day has been for me what most other days are. An opportunity to watch couples give each other dandy little gifts representing their love, while I scoff and nonchalantly dismiss the notion that people actually need an official day to care about others. Personally, I prefer St. Patrick's Day, because you get pissed and tell everyone you love them anyway.

It's not to say February 14th means nothing to me, however. No, that couldn't be further from the truth. Today is a very special day, a momentous day when I too may express my gratitude toward someone important.

TODAY IS STEVE McNAIR'S BIRTHDAY.

Yaaaayyyy Steeeeeeeve! It seems that, in some unique way, every Valentine's Day is a chance for me to celebrate in my own special way. So I'd like for everyone to take just a moment of their time on February 14th to remember... Steve cares.

And as he does, I hope that everyone has a safe and happy McValentine's Day. Especially Sarah, who kicks ass for sending me a message. I read it when I was like halfway through this blog so I had to make things cheerier midway in. lol

So be sure this day of love, respect and McNair, to let somebody know you're thinking of 'em. Be that a mysterious love interest, a good old pal, or that monster RIGHT BEHIND YOU (aah!!), it's always nice to show you care.

No comments:

Post a Comment