Sunday, September 3, 2006

Vic Uni: a precursor

I was cleaning today as I do every now and then, primarily because I'm running out of room and mice are eating into everything that isn't safely stored away, and amongst the broken action figures, Pokemon stickers and discarded proposal to assemble a fictional bobsled team, I came upon the notes I had scrawled down prior to my initial interview for the performance studies course I am currently undertaking with Victoria University.
It can be keenly noted from my profile page that I have been a wee bit negative toward this course in the past (probably would be better to do that after the course's conclusion, no? I don't think it's such a bright idea to be blasting something you're currently involved with... if I get a bad mark this semester, I blame MySpace), but now I'm all quiet and sedated. Oughta be interesting to see what I had to write that day, sitting in that room, with that abstract performance video playing, and I soon to enter that room for the interview... I don't recall the date, but it was late 2005. I think/assume/state defiantly.

10:48 AM... Odd video. Hard to consider watching something so abstract at an hour when I'm usually not awake.
Could really go for a piss right now. Not literally 'now' and here, obviously. Might be a tad upsetting.

Questions occurred... could this be it? Should I discard the damning workload but potentially more useful journalism in order to pursue performance arts?
I feel that the biggest weakness of my acting ability has always been my bodily movements; the way I use my hands and arms to portray emotion.

Frankly, if I could overcome this, it'd no doubt come in handy in the future. On that note, it would be wise for me to track down a theatre company at some point or another and master my craft. You know Pacino started in theatre? Spiffy information brought to you by the Biography Channel.

Can I act? There's something I've been pondering lately. I can speak loudly, move flamboyantly and express dialogue humorously, but am I really capable of realistically portraying a character in a situation? If not, then no amount of 'physical movement' will help me. It could be that I'll have to hone my talent in a self-taught environment and instead focus on journalism to give myself a reliable profession.

Do I really need a university education? ...It's time to start actually doing something to achieve my goals, methinks. I've run out of school time to delay entering the workforce.

Good lord, I wish I hadn't putzed my chances of entering that acting course. If I had read the damn book and scheduled an audition in time, I wouldn't be stuck seeking an easy alternative...

Drama. ...Maybe if I had ever had the chance to try it, I would have been more willing to go one step further. Hey, maybe I could apply next year? Sure, take the year off, find some work as a freelance writer, maybe even make an early on acting... It could work.

No comments:

Post a Comment